Saturday, January 13, 2007

Travel Knitting

For our winter getaway trip to Panama and Costa Rica it was hard to know what knitting project to pack. It had to be
  • small enough to be portable
  • light-weight so as not to be uncomfortable to handle in a warm environment
  • interesting enough to work on in airports, on long flights, and during "down time"
  • simple enough to knit while enjoying scenery, chatting, or watching a movie
After a few false starts I settled on the Lacy Moebius Scarf, using leftover Zephyr laceweight yarn. It met all the above requirements, and it turned out to be the perfect travel project. I swatched and cast on the day before we left home, and finished the last row on the (seemingly interminable) plane-ride home. The only thing left to do was the Kitchener stitch to join the ends, and since I couldn't remember how to do that, the finishing had to wait until our return. Here it is:

Pattern: Lacy Moebius Scarf by Mary J. Saunders
Based on: Roman Stripe pattern from Barbara Walker's Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns
Yarn: Jaggerspun Zephyr laceweight, Aegean Blue, approx. 40 gms
Needles: Addi Turbos #US 3
Modifications: Slipped first stitch of every row
Finished size: 15" wide by approx. 30" around. (I should have measured it before joining the ends together!)

I really enjoyed knitting this scarf. The pattern is simple, with a 7-row repeat, and easy to memorize. Zephyr is delicious to handle and squishes up to practically nothing, and so it was perfect to stick in a pocketbook or backpack. I know the moebius will be a staple of my winter wardrobe, maybe even indoors, now that winter has arrived in earnest.

More about the trip in a few days when I get the photos together...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The scarf is lovely! I look forward to seeing the travel pics as well. I would love to get to Costa Rica some day.

I have another trip coming up in a few weeks. Must start planning for my travel knitting project(s)!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work....my favorite travel project are socks.

Bee said...

the mobius is soo pretty... Costa Rica must be gorgeous would love to see pics...