Saturday, March 03, 2007

The good news and the bad news

The good news is that I have finished the lace sprinkle sweater. It is beautiful. The bad news is that I don't like the way it fits, and I'm not sure it's my fault.

As you can see from the photo, the neckline is too wide and too deep. After all, the purpose of a cashmere sweater is to keep you warm, not to show off one's assets! I don't know what went wrong – a comparison with the designer's photo (see previous blog entry) shows that the neck wasn't supposed to be low and sexy.

I already tried to compensate by increasing the edging around the neck. (Yes, I did figure out how to do a single crochet and half double crochet for the edging all the way around, and managed it quite nicely, if I do say so myself.)



The additional row of edging around the neck looks good, but it didn't solve the problem. It really needs a few more inches, so it's hard to imagine doing enough edging to fill in the gap. I'm open to suggestions!

The yarn, Colourmart cashmere DK weight, is fabulous. It was a pleasure to knit, and after the "tough love" treatment of washing in hot water and drying for several minutes in the dryer, it bloomed into something so soft that it is hard to be in the same room with it and not want to caress it. So it would really be a shame to let this sweater just hide away in a drawer, neglected.

No comments: