Friday, April 28, 2006

Knitting Projects Recently Completed

Here are some projects I have complete in the past few months.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is a sweater I made from a faded old copy of the Leisure Arts leaflet, Seamless Raglans. I had made a few sweaters this way in the "olden days" and really liked the top-down approach with a minimum of sewing at the end. The yarn is hand-dyed wool from Weston Hill Farms. I was afraid I wouldn't have enough, so added some KnitPicks Wool of the Andes for the ribbing and a few subtle stripes near the top in a Fibonacci configuration. It is so
subtle that you don't really see the stripes.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It's really hard to take a picture of yourself through a mirror!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My first modular knitting project, the Multidirectional Scarf from Iris Schreier's Modular Knits. The yarn is KnitPicks Wool of the Andes and Memories. I wasn't entirely happy with my choice of yarns for this scarf - there isn't enough contrast between the variegated triangles and the solid/variegated striped triangles. Next time I will choose two solids. But there wasn't much I could do about it - I knit it on the plane to and from Israel in March, and there wasn't any other yarn handy.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I bought some really wonderful superfine alpaca yarn on eBay and then had to figure out what to do with it. The off-white was a strange shade, which looked a little greener than the photo on eBay - one of the hazards of buying yarn over the internet. But it combined well with the blue heathery yarn. Each section was knit using a double strand of the respective color.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This was the yarn that started my whole knitting renaissance. I bought it several years ago in Ushuaia, the southernmost city in Argentina, on our way back from Antarctica in January, 2005. (That's another story!) Quite a few people on the ship were knitting, and I wondered why I had ever stopped... When I bought the yarn I thought it was wool, but it seems to be a wool-acrylic blend, and the scarf is already starting to show signs of wear after just a few months.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The old and the new... The blue hat was knit in 2006 in wool I found with a half-finished sweater in the back of my closet. It had been sitting there for over 20 years. The gray hat is one I made for Roger at least 20 years ago. It is now ready to be retired.

No comments: